5 weeks left for your Young Environmentalist Awards project!
Hello Young Environmentalists!
I hope all is going well with your Environmental Action project. I can’t wait to hear how much you have learnt and the fun you had carrying out your project.
The next big milestone is project submission. Projects can be submitted by post from Monday 10th February, 2014 until the deadline on Friday 28th of February, 2014. There will be no extension on this deadline due to the short lead in time to the ECO-Dens.
Project submissions require the following completed documents, in order to judge your project correctly:
- Your registration number marked on all items
- Your project: Completed written Project Report (max 3000 words) along with evidence of work carried out during the project. This can be supplemented with a video diary, photo scrapbook, CD-ROM, Project diary, Song/music, poetry, drama, etc.
- Teacher/Leader Evaluation sheet (print from Pg 46 of manual available online)
- Participant Evaluation sheet: completed by each group member (Pg 49 of manual)
- Group photo (hard and soft copy).
Please make sure your project description/summary (in the submission form and project template) really shows all the work you have done. We will use this in any future publicity material including the website and the People’s Choice Award so make sure you tell us how great your project is! Include information on how you came up with the project idea, how you developed your action plan, what you did, what your local action project achieved, how you raised awareness and any ways that you linked local to global issues.
As each project is unique, we do not put many restrictions on how groups should present their project, or exactly what to include when submitting. Some groups may have a song, or recycled decorations to show, some may have photos of an area they cleaned up in their community, or a powerpoint presentation of a poster competition they held in school to reduce energy wastage. However, the project template provides a good framework and hits all the points the judges will be looking for!
The Regional ECO-Dens
The Dens provide your group with the opportunity to pitch their project to a panel of judges and network with other young environmentalists in your region. From this regional judging phase, the final 60 shortlisted groups will be chosen to showcase their project at the Annual Showcase and Awards Ceremony on the 20th May 2014. The dates for this years ECO-Dens are as follows:
- March 11th: Ulster: Lough Neagh Discovery Centre, Craigavon
- March 13th: Munster: Lifetime lab, Cork
- March 25th: Connaught: ClareGalway Hotel, Galway
- March 27th & 28th: Leinster: The Greenhouse, Dublin
Well done on all of your Eco-actions. Best of luck!