1 Week to Register…
We at ECO-UNESCO hope all is going well with your environmental action project. We can’t wait to hear about your ideas for environmental action! Over the past few months we have been visiting schools and youth groups around the country with our YEA 2013 Roadshow, where we delivered the YEA 6 Steps to Success training. You can see some photos from the workshops below. It was great to meet with so many of you and we are hugely excited about the creativity, energy and enthusiasm we found in each of the groups we visited-we can’t wait to find out how your project progress!
Don’t forget, if you haven’t done so already, be sure to register your project by the 29th of November. Registration is simple! Groups (between 2-25 members) can now register their projects online.
Action projects are anything from creating a school garden or recycling facility, enhancing local biodiversity levels, tackling waste or climate change and a whole lot more! You carry out the project, and we give you the chance to be rewarded and win some great prizes for doing so!
Most groups are thinking about what environmental issues affect their communities and what issues they are passionate about. If you need some inspiration, don’t forget to have a look at the shortlisted projects from last year.
- Research – try and find out about the environmental issue so you know why you are doing the project
- Action – What practical actions are you going to take?
- Communication – how will you tell people about the great project you are doing and educate the other students in your school and people in your local community and even further afield about the environmental issue?
- Be creative – Do something different. People sometimes switch off if they feel they are being preached at. Is there a way that you can offer an alternative vision which is better…
Some ideas for communicating your idea include:
Making presentations to:
- your school
- other schools
- other groups (TidyTowns, Residents groups etc)
Contacting local media such as:
- Organise a launch event/party
- Social media
- Posters and leaflets
- Displaying the project in a range of venues
- Inviting guest speakers
The YEA is a great way to learn about the environment, take local action and have fun! Best of luck with your projects and don’t forget to register by November 29th!